A ridiculously soapy guilty pleasure for several years, "Melrose Place" was such a guilty pleasure that Jerry Seinfeld wouldn't admit to watching it - even when hooked up to a lie detector - on one episode of "Seinfeld" (but, of course, by the end of the episode, Jerry and the others had gathered to watch that week's episode.)
Created by "Sex and the City" creator Darren Star and running from 1992-1999, "Melrose" (a spin-off of "Beverly Hills, 90210") focused on the lives, loves and occasional insane moments between a group of residents living in an apartment complex in West Hollywood, including Michael (Thomas Calabro), Jane Mancini (Josie Bissett), Alison (Courtney Thorne-Smith), Billy (Andrew Shue) and Amanda (Heather Locklear, who was brought in early on as a "Special Guest Star" and continued to be billed as one, even though she became a regular.)
The third season picks up where the second season cliffhanger left off, with Alison having to face repressed memories of childhood abuse on her wedding day, and her father threatens to hurt her if she tells anyone. Michael gets injured in a hit-and-run, and suffers from amnesia as a result. While Jane is the prime suspect, she maintains her innocence.
While the look of the series has not held up terribly well over the years (it looks about as dated as "90210" does), the series still remains an enjoyable guilty pleasure, with all the catfights, mentally unstable characters (Kimberly goes completely off the deep end this season), love triangles, double crosses and whatnot fans grew to expect over the years.
3rd Season 1994
65. 3- 1 12 Sep 94 I Am Curious Melrose
- Jane offers evidence against Sydney, while Billy discovers Allison's painful past and Jake breaks up with Amanda.
66. 3- 2 19 Sep 94 It's a Bad World After All
- Alison confronts her father, while Matt finds out that Kimberly is shielding an amnesiac Michael and Billy is fired.
67. 3- 3 26 Sep 94 In-Laws and Outlaws
- Sydney begs Matt to investigate Kimberly, he snoops at the beach hour and finally confronts the mentally unbalanced doctor.
68. 3- 4 3 Oct 94 Grand Delusions
- Michael regains his member and Amanda and Jake learn startling information about Palmer.
69. 3- 5 10 Oct 94 Nonsexual Healing
- Jake is rescued after the explosion but immediately gets in trouble with Jo. Meanwhile, Billy hurts Alison when he begins dating, while Michael works out his divorce.
70. 3- 6 17 Oct 94 No Strings Attached
- Jane is suspicious of Sydney, while Alison makes some questionable decisions and Jake's luck takes a turn for the better.
71. 3- 7 24 Oct 94 The Cook, the Creep, His Lover and Her Sister
- Shooters is the key to new beginnings for Jake and Sydney, Peter has more than food in mind when going to dinner with Amanda and Billy gets romantic feelings for Alison's new roommate.
72. 3- 8 31 Oct 94 Love Reeks
- Jane, Chris, Michael and Kimberly head to Vegas, while Jake, Peter and Billy persue love at home.
73. 3- 9 7 Nov 94 Dr. Jeckyl Saves His Hide
- Matt and Jo deal with their pasts, while Alison battles the bottle.
74. 3-10 14 Nov 94 And Justice For None
- Jo and Kimberly learn bad news about their maternal futures, while Matt commits to Jeffrey and Alison lets down a friend - as well as herself.
75. 3-11 21 Nov 94 The Days of Wine and Vodka
- Taking a stand proves risky for Matt as he confronts his parents, and Billy and Susan attempt an intervention with Alison.
76. 3-12 28 Nov 94 The Doctor That Rocks the Cradle
- Amanda is fired for taking agency info, while Kimberly induces Jo's labor and plans to raise the child as her own. Meanwhile, Chris empties Jane's bank account and kidnaps Sydney.
77. 3-13 5 Dec 94 Just Say No
- Sydney initially finds life as a hostage agreeable, but decides to reach out for help. Meanwhile, Amanda takes control of D & D and orders Billy to fire Alison.
78. 3-14 12 Dec 94 Sex, Drugs and Rockin' the Cradle
- Alison struggles with rehab while, back home, romance is rocky as the couples deal with infidelity, alcoholism and a stolen baby.
79. 3-15 19 Dec 94 Holiday on Ice
- Amanda admits to her chilly behavior, while Terry admits his feels for Alison and Peter orders Jo's child be returned.
80. 3-16 2 Jan 95 Bye Bye Baby
- Peter hires an efficency expert and Jo brings a nanny home.
82. 3-18 16 Jan 95 They Shoot Mothers, Don't They? (1)
83. 3-19 16 Jan 95 They Shoot Mothers, Don't They? (2)
- Jake and Jo head out in search of the baby's kidnappers, while Peter and Caitlin trap Amanda.
84. 3-20 23 Jan 95 Another Perfect Day in Hell
- Kimberly's psych test proves she's too unstable to work at the hospital.
85. 3-21 6 Feb 95 Boxing Sydney
- Amanda struggles with treatment, while Sydney finds salvation with a cult leader.
86. 3-22 13 Feb 95 St. Valentine's Day Massacre
- Loyalties are tested when Sydney is handed a gun and instructed to shoot her sister, while Jo sees John's violent side during a drug bust.
87. 3-23 20 Feb 95 Breakfast at Tiffany's, Dinner at Eight
- Kimberly tries to hurt Amanda's chances to getting an experimental new treatment and tells her her condition is terminal.
88. 3-24 27 Feb 95 And the Winner Is...
- The competition gets ugly when Alison and Amanda are both up for the Century Award.
89. 3-25 13 Mar 95 Love and Death 101
- Alison is the new boss, but that changes relationships with both Billy and Amanda.
90. 3-26 20 Mar 95 To Live and Die in Malibu
- Alison becomes a tyrant at work.
91. 3-27 3 Apr 95 All About Brooke
- Michael is desperate to drop Kimberly , while Jake faces a similar decision when his brother tries to get in on his luxurious life.
92. 3-28 10 Apr 95 Melrose Impossible
- Amanda has a difficult time shaking Michael, while Kimberly visits a sweat lodge and Jo falls for jess.
93. 3-29 1 May 95 Hose By Any Other Name
- Kimberly gets an "early graduation pass" from her self-defense camp>
94. 3-30 8 May 95 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
- Jake throws Jess out of his apartment and Sydney discovers Jane is behind a plot to oust her from the design firm.
95. 3-31 15 May 95 Framing of the Shrews
- Brook changes a note that Alison meant for Billy and Kimberly hurts herself in order to make Michael look like a menace.
96. 3-32 22 May 95 The Big Bang (1)
97. 3-33 22 May 95 The Big Bang (2)
- Jake and Jess fall from a construction platform, Matt is framed and Kimberly decides to rid herself of her enemies.
VIDEO: I'm not sure why "Beverly Hills, 90210" and "Melrose Place" continue to look rather subpar in these full season sets. While certainly not a total loss, these third season episodes of "Melrose" are presented in 1.33:1 full-frame (the show's original aspect ratio) and, while watchable, the series looks less fresh than I'd expect from a show from the era. Sharpness and detail is generally passable, although some scenes can take on a hazy appearance.
Some mild-to-heavy grain is present throughout nearly all of the scenes, while some minor artifacting and the occasional trace of dirt and wear is also seen. Colors generally looked fine, with no smearing and reasonably nice saturation.
SOUND: The show's stereo soundtrack is adequate, with crisp dialogue and music. However, the music is - once again - replaced. The back of the box offers up the note: "Music Has Been Changed For This Home Entertainment Version. Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."
EXTRAS: A few short promotional featurettes: "Everything You Need to Know About Melrose Place - Season 3", "Seven Minutes in Hell" and "According to Jake".
Final Thoughts: "Melrose Place" remains just as supremely guilty a guilty pleasure as always in this third season set. While it's recommended for fans, hopefully future seasons will offer some improvements in presentation.