"NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" is a hit drama for CBS that originated out of an episode of "JAG" before becoming a stand-alone series in 2003. The show follows a Naval Criminal Investigative Service Major Case Response Team (MCRT) who find themselves assigned to major cases, such as an explosion at a military golf course, a suspicious death of a highly decorated marine, chemical weapons falling into the wrong hands and terrorist activity.
The team is lead by Gibbs (Mark Harmon), who is assisted by goth Abby Sciuto (Pauley Perrette), NCIS Special Agent Timothy McGee (Sean Murray), NCIS Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo (Michael Weatherly) and medical examiner Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard (David McCallum). Gibbs had retired at the end of season 3 after being injured in a terrorist attack. In his place is Anthony DiNozzo (Michael Weatherly), who serves as leader when the fourth season begins. However, it's not long before Gibbs is pulled out of retirement, as former Mossad agent Ziva (Cote de Pablo) is mistaken for the one responsible when she witnesses an assassination attempt.
The season continues to see the show operating smoothly, with Harmon providing a confident, engaging lead effort as Gibbs. He's also backed up by a marvelous supporting cast, as the underrated Weatherly is better here than he was on the short-lived "Dark Angel". McCallum, Murray and newcomer Michelle Lee also give fine supporting performances. Overall, "NCIS" continues its strong run with an entertaining and often intense fourth round of episodes.
71. 4- 1 19 Sep 06 Shalom
-Gibbs is retired in Mexico and the NCIS team must somehow learn to live without him when Ziva becomes the FBI's prime suspect in an assassination attempt. Now she turns to the one person she can trust.
72. 4- 2 26 Sep 06 Escaped
-After a friend's life is threatened by an escaped convict, Gibbs comes out of retirement and re-opens the convict's armed robbery case.
73. 4- 3 3 Oct 06 Singled Out
- A Navy lieutenant's bloody, abandoned car brings the NCIS team in to investigate a singles' seminar with the hope that one of the male attendees will lead them to the missing lieutenant.
74. 4- 4 10 Oct 06 Faking It
- A Petty Officer who was working under as part of an arms operation is found murdered.
75. 4- 5 17 Oct 06 Dead and Unburied
- A missing Marine's body is found in a vacant home after he was deployed to Iraq but never showed up for duty.
76. 4- 6 31 Oct 06 Witch Hunt
- On Halloween night a Marine is attacked in his home and his daughter is kidnapped. Meanwhile, McGee and Tony are rendered speechless by Abby's Halloween costume.
77. 4- 7 7 Nov 06 Sandblast
- An explosion on a military golf course kills a Marine colonel and the NCIS team must work with the Army Criminal Investigative Unit to find the killer. Romance is in the air for both Gibbs and Tony.
78. 4- 8 14 Nov 06 Once a Hero
- A former decorated Marine falls to his death at a hotel in Washington, D.C. The NCIS team works to clear the veteran's name after they discover suspicious activity surrounding his death.
79. 4- 9 21 Nov 06 Twisted Sister
- McGee takes matters into his own hands after his teenage sister appears at his door bloodied and confused.
80. 4-10 28 Nov 06 Smoked
- Working in tandem with the FBI, the NCIS team makes a shocking discovery when they identify the remains of a serial killer.
81. 4-11 12 Dec 06 Driven
- A highly classified robotic device is sabotaged and kills Navy lieutenant who was working on an important project for the Department of Defense.
82. 4-12 16 Jan 07 Suspicion
- A high-level Marine intelligence officer is murdered in a small-town motel room. The NCIS team rushes to the scene of the crime only to discover the local authorities have disrupted the crime scene and performed an autopsy days earlier.
83. 4-13 23 Jan 07 Sharif Returns
- Gibbs and the NCIS team scramble to locate 10 kilograms of highly toxic chemical weapons only to discover that they're in the possession of wanted terrorist Mamoun Sharif.
84. 4-14 6 Feb 07 Blowback
- Ducky goes undercover as a buyer of illegal weapons. Jenny appears to have a personnel vendetta against the arms dealer known as "La Grenouille."
85. 4-15 13 Feb 07 Friends & Lovers
- The NCIS team believes that a sailor found in an abandoned building was the victim of a drug overdose until they discover an ominous message written in blood.
86. 4-16 20 Feb 07 Dead Man Walking
- A Navy lieutenant, the victim of radiation poisoning, wants the NCIS team to solve a murder-his own.
87. 4-17 27 Feb 07 Skeletons
- An explosion at a military cemetery mausoleum reveals several dismembered human remains. The team looks for potential serial killers, but Gibbs is surprised with the final outcome.
88. 4-18 20 Mar 07 Iceman
- A man supposedly frozen to death is about to be autopsied by Ducky, when he suddenly sits up - alive! As the NCIS team tries to figure out who left the man for dead, they discover there's a link to Gibbs' past.
89. 4-19 3 Apr 07 Grace Period
- An anonymous call to the NCIS tip line about possible terrorist activity sends two agents into a trap and certain death.
90. 4-20 10 Apr 07 Cover Story
- With little information to go on, McGee is under serious pressure during the murder investigation of a Petty Officer.
91. 4-21 24 Apr 07 Brothers In Arms
- Director Shepard finds that meeting an informant alone can be murder. The NCIS team must gather all leads to hunt down the killer.
92. 4-22 1 May 07 In the Dark
- The NCIS team taps into a blind photographer's special insight to investigate a crime.
93. 4-23 8 May 07 Trojan Horse
- While Shepard is abroad, Gibbs is acting director, but he ignores his duties when a murdered man is found in a cab headed to the NCIS headquarters.
94. 4-24 22 May 07 Angel of Death
- The deepest, darkest secrets of each NCIS team member are about to be revealed after they learn they have a to take a Homeland Security polygraph test. Meanwhile, a ruthless drug dealer holds Tony and his girlfriend Jeanne hostage.
VIDEO: "NCIS" is presented by Paramount Home Entertainment in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen. Presentation quality was above-average, as sharpness and detail were mostly terrific. Although a few shots look a tad softer than the rest, most scenes boast fine detail and definition. No edge enhancement was seen, but some slight artifacting was spotted in a few scenes. Colors appeared accurately presented, looking rich and warm, with excellent saturation and no smearing or other problems.
SOUND: The show is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, although the show's soundtrack is largely front-heavy, with the rears only picking up some work to reinforce the score and offer some minor ambience. Audio quality was fine, with crisp dialogue and effects.
EXTRAS: Commentary by Donald Bellisario is included on "Angel of Death", while actor Michael Weatherby comments on "Grace Period" and joins Pauley Perrette to chat about "Cover Story". Sean Murray and Cote De Pablo comment on "Dead Man Walking" and Murray returns with Terrence O'Hara to chat about "Twisted Sister". Finally, Brian Dietzen and David McCallum talk about "Skeletons".
We also get a series of featurettes: "Cast Roundtable" (parts 1/2), "Ducky's World", "The Production Design of NCIS", "The Costume Design of NCIS", "Prop Master", "Picture Perfect: The Looks of NCIS" and "Season of Secrets".
Final Thoughts: "NCIS" continues its strong run with an entertaining and often intense fourth round of episodes. The DVD set boasts excellent audio/video quality, as well as a lot of terrific supplements. Recommended.